Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wednesday, August 20, 2014, Dalkey, Ireland

Today will be a break for everybody -- short and sweet.  Kathy is nursing a cold.  I am recovering from probably the same virus.  We catch up on sleep, laundry, blogging (good fast internet connection), and nutrition (an excellent late home-cooked breakfast).  We watch a bunch of kayakers go by our place.


In the afternoon, I decide to venture out.  This is a nice Dalkey park.



My first mission is to check out the walk to the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel.  We had compared travel schedules with Mike and JoAnna Martin before we left home and had found a 1 day overlap.  They were checking in to this hotel later tonight.  It took 32 minutes, uphill most of the way, to walk from out pad to theirs.


They are in a higher rent district than we are -- nice place.


After checking out the Fitzpatrick and leaving a welcome note for Mike and JoAnna, I start back in the gravity assisted direction.  This little place with a familiar name caught my eye.


A pretty spot to call home 


My second mission was to check out the relative location of the DART train station.  This bridge was next to the station.




Not exactly on my mission list, but, in Ireland, what is an outing without a pub stop for a pint?


Finnegan's was right on the path and had Smithwicks Pale Ale -- a new one to me -- a good new one.


I knew that Kathy would not forgive me if I didn't get the flowers at Finnegan's .


The restaurant across the street is one Kathy has on he list -- The Guinea Pig.


After finishing my third mission of grocery shopping, I head back to the casa.  This church, St. Patricks, is a Church of Ireland (Anglican) church was on my route.


Flowers for my wife.


Back at our place which sits right on Dublin Bay, we watch the cruise ships go out to the Irish Sea.


These rocks sit just below our back yard.


A motoring 3-master.



Tonight is a cooking- in night.


Pork chops and veggies by candlelight.